September 14, 2011

All That Glitters

I was talking to a friend -- a fellow creative mind and a kindred spirit from the same generation both literally and mentally -- the other day about how we're both so ready to move on from our jobs.

Sure, he's been at his for 2 years I think, and I've been at mine for 6 months, but that's the advantage about being 24, I guess. According to my mother, at least.

Anyway, it was then that someone confirmed with me that one of the occupational hazards of what I'm doing is disillusionment. I was blind-sided by it, too, because hello all I thought I'd be doing is watching Koreanovelas for money.

What I didn't foresee was that it would completely crush every notion of "magic" I had left.

Do you know those insane magician/illusionist/mentalist shows? They're breathtaking and amazing and it's cathartic to not understand some things sometimes, and a bit of a relief in a world where pretty much everyone is stupid, because there's somebody who can do something that you absolutely cannot, and for a brief moment you have someone to genuinely look up to. Well, I learned that these supposedly unique abilities can be taught "anywhere, anytime, to any talent" when I was watching a pile of Israeli format screeners that they were selling to us.

And from there, you realize that even things like the Miss Universe pagaent is political. It was probably naive of me to expect otherwise, and it's not like I absolutely believed in it anyway, but the cold, hard reality didn't hit me until I realized that the rumors of China possibly hosting one of these years was probably the reason why that dim lightbulb of a contestant even made it to 4th runner up.

And as happy and proud as I am for Shamcey, I have my conspiracy theories behind her almost-win as well, which I cannot divulge for the sake of my job. She was clearly the best one there and truly deserved her win, but I guess I'm just too jaded now to think that nothing is ever as genuine as it seems anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment